Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Is there such a thing as crocheter's block?

We've all heard of writer's block, right?  That experience when writers are at a standstill  on what to write about or how to express accurately what it is they wish to communicate to their readers.  Well, I find myself experiencing the same conflict as the writer with writer's block, only my struggle is not with the written word but with crocheting.  I am stumped!

I have tons of fabulous yarn, a plethora of patterns, and every crochet hook under the sun.  Yet, I lack inspiration for my next creation.  How frustrating to have, at my disposal, all of the necessary tools to create anything I want and yet I have no ideas. I walk into my work space, open my containers of yarn, look at it, get discouraged and walk away.

After some reflection I think my struggle comes down to  this question: Do I crochet what I like or do I crochet to meet market demand?  Frequently, what I like is not what is in demand in the marketplace and as a person who wants to sell crocheted items could be a bit of a problem.  For example, cowls were very popular this winter season.  I look at those things and think, why?  Why would anyone want something like that around their neck?  Do I have the ability to make cowls?  Sure, but I have no desire to make them.  Could I have made money by selling them?  Probably, but what if I didn't sell any and got stuck with 7 cowls that I would have to store somewhere until I could find someone who would appreciate or want them. 

I asked my teen aged daughter her opinion on what she thought I should do.  Make for market demand or make what I love?  She said, "Mom, make what you like and just put it out there, if someone likes it they will buy it."  To which I replied, " Yeah, but what if I get stuck with all of this inventory, what do I do with 12 baby blanket if they don't sell?"  She says, " Mom, you can always use those things for gifts."   Well, she has a point there, and I do love gifting people with crocheted items.  I then replied back to her with, " Yeah, but I have so many items, what would I do with all of them once I ran out of people to give things to?"  She just shrugged her shoulder and said, " Mom, just do what you enjoy."    Who expects such wisdom from a 16 year-old?  She is right and I know it.  If I allow my art to become merely an avenue for revenue then I will  no longer find joy in crocheting and that would be a real shame.  Crocheter's are always connected with the idea that their items are lovingly made for people, and rightly so.  I think I will take my daughter's advice and do what I enjoy.  Although money is useful and necessary, it is not everything. 



2 comments:

Mandy said...

There is definitely such thing as crocheter's block - I've been at that point myself! And like you (I think), I finally decided to make what I like to make. Sure, it feels good to sell stuff, but if you don't enjoy making it, is it really worth it? On the other hand, sometimes trying something new can be good too!

Pick a yarn you want to play with and check out people's crochet projects on Ravelry that used that yarn. I think sometimes we back ourselves into a corner and need to approach things from a different direction. Rather than having a project in mind, starting with the yarn makes us look at it differently. Even seeing a project with that yarn might make you realize that you want to make that item but with different yarn.

Good luck and remember to have fun!

Angela @ Off the Hook said...

Thanks for the good advice, Mandy. I'm definitely going to remember to have fun with my crocheting. Like you said, what is the point if I don't like it?