Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What's in a Quilt?

Here is a wonderful excerpt that I found from a quilting book that a dear friend passed along to me.  Even though the topic of the excerpt is quilting I truly believe that the same sentiment applies to not only crochet but to all forms of art.  This passage come from the book entitled, "The Standard Book of Quilt Making and Collecting"  by Marguerite Ickis.  Now, on to the quote:

Then with the completed quilt on the re-finished antique four-poster bed she can run her fingers over the glowing stitched surface and remember the past as did one great grandmother back in Ohio.
That kindly, ancient lady reminisced as she passed her work-worn fingers over a quilt she had pieced together while her family was growing up:  "It took me more than twenty years, nearly twenty-five years, I reckon,"  she told me softly, " in the evenings after supper when the children were all put to bed.  My whole life is in that quilt.  It scares me sometimes when I look at it.  All my joys and all my sorrows are stitched into those little pieces.  When I was proud of the boys or when I was angry with them.  When the girls annoyed me or when they gave me a warm feeling around my heart.  And John too.  He was stitched into that quilt and all thirty years we were married.  Sometimes I loved him and sometimes I sat there hating him as I pieced the patches together.  So they are all in that quilt, my hopes and fears, my joys and sorrows, my loves and hates.  I tremble sometimes when I remember what that quilt knows about me."

1 comment:

Donna K said...

I have enjoyed following your blog and wanted to award you with a blog award. Please check out my blog for details. Have a great day!!